Gingerbread is one of the flavours of the Christmas season, whether it’s from freshly baked gingerbread men or just a dash of festive syrup in your morning coffee.
And it is the coffee shop syrup that is the inspiration here – a simple swap from the regular sugar syrup in your old fashioned, and there you have it, an easy Christmas upgrade.
- Combine a teaspoon of gingerbread syrup*, 60ml whiskey and a sploosh of bitters in a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir well for sixty seconds.
- Strain into a chilled old fashioned glass, over ice.
- Garnish with an amaretto cherry (Christmas tincture optional).
* You can make your own by adding ginger and cinnamon to a basic simple syrup recipe (follow Nigella’s recipe here) or use the pre-mixed Starbucks or Monin versions that are reasonably easy to find in the shops at this time of year.