Pistachios, bourbon, summer fruits, mint and tea fit the theme for this summer party before two friends set off on a round the world trip.
The theme gave us free rein to explore some international combinations and after a few discussions we settled on a pistachio sour to mark their travels (US bourbon, pistachios from the Middle East and India, China and Brazil as the largest producer of lemons, eggs and sugar!) and a strawberry and gin punch to remind them of some of the tastes of England they’d be leaving behind.
The sours were pretty much made to order, but the strawberry punch could be batched up and served from pitchers throughout the course of the evening, and with a little prep time in advanced we were free to take full part in the evening’s festivities – even taking second prize in the fancy dress competition with our Willy Fogg costume!
Sweet, sour and nutty, this simple twist on a classic whiskey sour is perfectly softened by the addition of the (technically optional) egg white:
- Shake 50ml Jim Beam white label bourbon, 25ml fresh lemon juice, 15ml pistachio syrup, 10ml simple syrup and 25ml fresh egg white with cubed ice.
- Strain into a rocks glass over ice.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of crushed pistachios.
Pistachio Syrup: We used Monin but you can make your own by blending equal parts pistachios and simple syrup and straining.
Strawberry Fields Forever
Cooled Earl Grey tea gives a hint of eastern mystery to this sweet summery punch. The bergamot, lime and mint combine nicely to make this a refreshing option despite the usual astringency of the tea:
- Muddle a handful of strawberries and mint in the bottom of a cocktail shaker.
- Add 30ml London Dry gin, 40ml cold Earl Grey tea, 20ml strawberry syrup and 10ml fresh lime juice and shake well with cubed ice.
- Strain into a highball glass and garnish with a sprig of mint and half a strawberry.
Strawberry Syrup: Can be bought pre-made (we recommend the Teisseire brand) or follow the recipe here